Home > About Website Standards
Established in 2006 by a group of industry experts, Website Standards Association Inc. (WSA) acts as a united voice for professional website developers and internet marketers. WSA was born from the need to identify benchmarks for professionalism and quality of workmanship for the web industry.
WSA aims to identify and promote the minimum standards that all websites should meet and is committed to the development and promotion of professional websites and other online mediums. Member companies of the WSA surpass these standards identified by the Association and provide clients with quality products and services that maximise the power of the Internet and its associated peripherals.
WSA also aims to educate users of the internet, particularly business owners, on how to get the most out of this powerful medium. By providing this information, WSA aims to discourage patronage of those who play on the so called “mysteries” of the internet and prevent users from falling prey to companies that produce sub-standard products and services.
In addition, WSA provides members with an understanding of the more complex issues of professional internet design such as optimisation, SPAM compliance, legal protection and internet marketing. It also assists with general business practices and promotion.
Website Standards Association Inc. aims to promote the interests of website developers, internet marketers and their clients by:
- Promoting high professional standards and ethics in website development and internet marketing.
- Promoting co-operation and understanding between website developers and their clients.
- Establishing guidelines that identify minimum standards of workmanship.
- Establishing guidelines that develop a consistent programming structure that is up-to-date with the available technology.
- Encouraging development and discussion of all aspects of the business and the art of web design.
- Influencing technological development, education, and training procedures.
WSA is still in its infancy and is still developing its set of standards. You can download drafts of these standards on the home page. These standards are open for public comment.
WSA became an Incorporated Association under Queensland law in mid-2008. The association is currently building its membership base so we can further our objectives of educating business owners and increasing standards in the website development industry. Currently, this website is maintained by Bluehype Services.
To help us grow the organisation and achieve our goals of improving the web industry, we are seeking experts in the following areas:
- Website development
- Internet marketing
- Search engine optimisation
- Website usability
- Coding standards
- Business ethics
Find out about WSA membership here.
To find an approved developer close to you, please click here.